The products and services that the Daifuku Group provides to society through its customers have an impact on the global environment through the use of electricity and resources. We recognize that responding to the demands for more environmentally friendly products and services that transcend national and organizational boundaries is an important issue to ensure the continuation of our business, and we aim to maximize the value we provide to our customers through an expansion of our environmentally friendly products and services.
The Environmental Management Subcommittee,* established under the auspices of the Sustainability Committee, discusses and examines issues like contributing to a reduction in CO2 emissions through our products and services, environmentally friendly projects, and Daifuku Eco-Products certification.
In fiscal 2022, the Product Evaluation Project was launched under the auspices of the Environmental Management Subcommittee, and consideration has been initiated to visualize product value from a broad sustainability perspective that includes not only environmental friendliness, but also contributions to our customers and to society in general.
- *This Subcommittee is a merger of the Environmentally Friendly Products Subcommittee and the Environmentally Friendly Operations Subcommittee, which had existed until fiscal 2021.
Daifuku Eco-Products Certification Program
In 2012, Daifuku began its Daifuku Eco-Products Certification Program to certify products based on environmental impact assessment ratings and a certification system using Daifuku’s own standards. Under the program, all products across the Group are measured under the same standards, with measurements coming from results of a Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) and environmental performance assessments on a number of areas, including power saving, recyclability, lightweight, long Life, packing material reduction, water conservation, noise reduction, water pollution prevention, and harmful substance reduction. As of May 2022, 77 products have met the standards and been certified as Daifuku Eco-Products.
Moreover, starting in fiscal 2022, we have been reviewing this system through the Product Evaluation Project of the Environmental Management Subcommittee. In addition to concern for the environment, we are examining the product evaluation axis from a broader perspective that includes contributions to our customers and society.
To obtain a valid and trustworthy rating from multiple perspectives, the screenings are done by the certification meeting, comprised of directors or chief operating officers from different operations.
Certified Daifuku Eco-Products (FY2021)
- Cleanroom transport system - Clean Space Carrier (CSC/D8050MⅡ)
- Distributed HID power supply system - D-HID
- One-way drive-through car wash machine - Treus (TE7000)
- Box computer (BX-T3000)
- Raspberry Pi expansion board (CPI-DIO-0808L)
- Battery-driven BLE-LTE converter supporting IP67 (CPSB-BTM1-S011)
Sales of Daifuku Eco-Products
|Sales of Daifuku Eco-Products (Million yen)||38,211||49,183||36,066|
|Sales excluding services sales* (Million yen)||334,794||354,502||376,268|
|Sales ratio (%)||11.4||13.9||9.6|
- *Daifuku sales are generally divided into sales for new deliveries and sales for follow-up services, such as maintenance and inspections. The sales ratio for Daifuku eco-certified products uses the amount of total sales with service sales deducted.
Avoided CO2 emissionsKPI
We are reducing CO2 emissions from energy use during product operations with our environmentally friendly products and services that conform to our Group's standards. Our CO2 reduction amount is calculated by subtracting the CO2 emissions produced from our products/services provided to our customers from the CO2 emissions produced from our products/services in fiscal 2011—the base year for environmental performance.
|Avoided CO2 emissions through products/services||Global||69,694 t-CO2|
Sales ratio of projects that include environmentally friendly productsKPI
The following shows the percentage of net sales of projects that contributed to customers in terms of environmental friendliness through certified Daifuku Eco-Products, etc.
|Sales ratio of projects that include environmentally friendly products||Global||63%|
Life cycle assessment
From 2015, we have incorporated the life cycle assessment (LCA) as an analysis tool for designing environmentally friendly products. By comparing old and new products, we are able to further enhance our environmentally friendly product designs.
Results of LCA conducted on the New Goodrack (heavy load storage rack)
Specifications of a standard representational model:
|Width (W):||2,500 mm|
|Depth (L):||1,100 mm|
|Height (H):||5,000 mm|
|Number of levels:||3 beam levels (maximum load: 2,000 kg/level）|
1. LCA computation scope
2. Impact assessment
We assessed the impact of six environmental issues according to product life cycle stages. We also compared the environmental impact of new and previous products.
Summary of impact assessment by product life-cycle stage
- Material manufacturing stage contribution exceeded 80% for global warming, ecotoxicity (terrestrial) and urban air pollution.
- Assembly stage largely contributed (around 60%) to waste disposal site exhaustion and water resource consumption.
- Within the computation conditions no clear impact was noticed towards ozone depletion.
- Transportation stage and disposal stage impact were minimal across all listed environmental issues.
Comparison with previous product (global warming)
- Environmental impact reduction rate for new products was 7.4%.
- Decreasing the weight of trusses and beams was the main contribution to the reduction of environmental impact.