Daifuku Eco-Products Certification Program
In November 2012, we began an in-house program to rate and certify the energy and environmental design of our own products.
This program is in line with Daifuku's Environmental Vision 2020, which states as a goal for the year 2020, "Developing and supplying environmentally friendly products and services that comply with our environmental standards." We rate every product manufactured within the Daifuku Group in terms of: energy saving, recyclable, lightweight, long life, resource saving, water saving, low noise, clean water preservation, and harmful substance reduced. Products that meet a certain standard are certified as a Daifuku Eco-Product.
To obtain a valid and trustworthy rating from multiple perspectives, the screenings are done by the Eco-Product Committee, comprised of directors or chief operating officers from different operations.
Certified Eco-Products (Year)
Manufacturing & Distribution
- Unit load S/R Machine (2015)
- Bolt-up Rack (2015)
- Mini load AS/RS - Shuttle Rack (2013, 2014)
- AS/RS for long objects (2014)
- Transport system - Motor Roller Conveyor (2013)
- Mini load AS/RS, R-F/N (2012)
- Overhead monorail system - Clean Space Carrier (2013, 2015)
- Transport system - Cleanway (2014)
- Transport/Storage system - MMHS: Matrix Material Handling System (2013)
- AS/RS - Clean Stocker (2012)
- Temporary storage and sortation system - SPDR (2015)
- Pallet-type conveyor system - Flexible Drive System (2014)
- Power assisting system - ECO POWER ASSIST (2013)
- Environmentally friendly paint system - E-DIP (2012)
- Drive-through car wash machine - Fabrica (2015)
- Drive-through car wash machine - Avante (2015)
- Gate-type car wash machine - Flare (2014)
- Gate-type car wash machine - Grossa (2014)
- Drive-through car wash machine - Twinfect Force (2013)
- Drive-through car wash machine - Twinthru Arteno (2013)
- Gate-type car wash machine - Euros (2013)
- Drive-through car wash machine - Granada (2012)
- Gate-type car wash machine - GSPECT (2012)
Contec Co., Ltd.
- BOX-PC (2015)
- M2M Controller (2015)
- Solar power measurement display system - SolarView Compact (2014)
Manufacturing & Distribution
Unit load S/R Machine (Model: R-L10)
The S/R Machine (R-L10) is a stacker crane that stores and retrieves pallets, up to 1 ton, into racks up to 15 meters. By making the frame lightweight and standardizing use of motors with premium efficiency, energy consumption was reduced 8% compared to standard models. The frame structure was also redesigned and the amount of wiring was reduced, leading to a 10% decrease in the number of parts.
Bolt-up Rack (Model: DC100)
The Bolt-up Rack, which uses rivets and bolts to hold parts together, is used mainly as storage racks for automated warehouses. By remodeling the columns, the rack can now be applied in high-rise automated warehouses, which were traditionally welded structures, decreasing weight by 10%. In addition, by not welding, energy used during fabrication was reduced by 30%. In addition, shipping can now be done with the brackets removed, decreasing the number of trucks used and emission of CO2 by about 60%.
Clean Space Carrier for cleanroom transport (Model: CSC/D6000M II)
The Clean Space Carrier is an overhead monorail system used in cleanrooms for the production of flat-panel displays. Compared to standard systems, the carrier speed was increased from 120 m/min to 180 m/min, a 50% increase. Acceleration was also increased 30% from 0.06G to 0.08G and deceleration was increased 150% from 0.06G to 0.15G. These improvements led to a decrease in the number of carriers needed in a system. In addition, the carrier increased energy efficiency by using energy produced during deceleration. These efforts led to a 16% decrease in energy consumption and 43% decrease in waste.
SPDR, a temporary storage and sortation system
The SPDR (pronounced “spider”) stores and sorts a variety of cases used in parts logistics. As it does not use racks like conventional AS/RS, it can effectively be applied in limited spaces, contributing to resource saving. In addition to freely handling stacked cases, the system efficiently picks stacked cases and was made lightweight, making it an energy efficient system. By using a transmission belt to move, the system operates quietly, improving the work environment, and is easy to maintain.
Fabrica, drive through-type car wash machine (Model: FB7000)
The Fabrica is able to wash underneath rear spoilers using the industry-first “inclined and separable side brush.” The model also incorporates new features, including high-pressure hoses and a brush to clean wheels and an under-body wash that functions according to the length of the vehicle. The machine is built with a highly corrosion resistant steel frames, contains water-saving measures, and uses environmentally-friendly detergent as its standard.
Avante, drive through-type car wash machine (Model: AV7000)
The Avante uses a newly developed brush that thoroughly washes vehicles, along with other accessories that also have increased washing capabilities, as well as a side nozzle for drying smaller vehicles. The machine incorporates the newest features and options to meet every driver’s needs. It is built with a highly corrosion resistant steel frames, contains water-saving measures, and uses environmentally-friendly detergent as its standard.
BOX-PC (Model: BX-320)
The BX-320 is a small, high-performance industrial PC, which can fit on the palm of a hand, with an Intel Quad Core Atom processor that can be installed on a 35mm DIN rail. For cooling efficiency, the heat sink and other features were structured with the optimal design, decreasing weight by 14%. In addition, energy consumption was decreased by 2%, despite having a high-speed CPU, with total decrease of 11% if increased power consumption by the CPU is not included. Packaging was also redesigned, cutting packaging volume by 69% and weight by 33%.
M2M Controller (Model: CPS-MC341-ADSC1-111)
The M2M Controller is a compact device for remote monitoring and controls that combines a variety of I/O functions, including digital and analog input/output. By combining the I/O functions, which conventionally required multiple I/O devices for one system, electric consumption was decreased by 34% and weight was reduced by 37%.
Life Cycle Assessment
From 2015, we have incorporated life cycle assessment as a analysis tool for desigining eco-friendly products. By comparing old and new products, we are able to further enhance our eco-friendly product designs.
Results of LCA conducted on the New Goodrack, a heavy load storage rack
Specifications of a standard representational model:
Results of LCA conducted on the New Goodrack, a heavy load storage rack Width (W): 2,500mm Depth (L): 1,100mm Height (H): 5,000mm Number of levels: 3 beam levels (maximum load: 2000kg/level) Connection: 10 spans
1. LCA computation scope
2. Impact assessment
We assessed the impact of six environmental issues according to life cycle stages. We also compared the environmental impact of the issues of new and previous products.
Summary of impact assessment by life-cycle stages
- Contribution of material manufacturing stage has exceeded 80% for global warming, ecotoxicity (terrestrial) and urban air pollution.
- Contribution of the assembly stage was about 60%, or a majority, for exhaustion of waste displosal sites and water resource consumption.
- No clear influence was noticed for depletion of the ozone layer in the computation conditions this time.
- Influence of transportation stage and disposal stage was small in all environmental domain of influence.
Comparison with previous product (Global warming)
- Environmental influence reduction rate for new products was 7.4%.
- Decreasing the weight of trusses and beams was the main contribution to the reduction of environmental influence.
CO2 Reduction Contribution
Daifuku strives to decrease its carbon footprint by providing eco-friendly products and services.
The contribution towards reduced CO2 from our products and services is calculated by taking the amount of CO2 released and subtracting it from the amount released during fiscal 2005, which acts as the base year.
CO2 reduction contribution from environmentally friendly products