Daifuku Eco-Products Certification Program
In November 2012, we began an in-house program to rate and certify the energy and environmental design of our own products.
This program is in line with Daifuku's Environmental Vision 2020, which states as a goal for the year 2020, "Developing and supplying environmentally friendly products and services that comply with our environmental standards." We rate every product manufactured within the Daifuku Group in terms of: energy saving, recyclable, lightweight, long life, resource saving, water saving, low noise, clean water preservation, and harmful substance reduced. Products that meet a certain standard are certified as a Daifuku Eco-Product.
To obtain a valid and trustworthy rating from multiple perspectives, the screenings are done by the Eco-Product Committee, comprised of directors or chief operating officers from different operations.
Certified Eco-Products (Year)
Manufacturing & Distribution
- Stacker crane - R-series S/R machine(2015, 2016)
- AS/RS - Seismic damper unit for rack(2016)
- Bolt-up Rack (2015)
- Mini load AS/RS - Shuttle Rack (2013, 2014)
- AS/RS for long objects (2014)
- Transport system - Motor Roller Conveyor (2013)
- Mini load AS/RS, R-F/N (2012)
- Cleanroom Equipment - Mechanical Centering System (2016)
- Overhead monorail system - Clean Space Carrier (2013, 2015)
- Transport system - Cleanway (2014)
- Transport/Storage system - MMHS: Matrix Material Handling System (2013)
- AS/RS - Clean Stocker (2012)
- Chainless conveyor System - Flexible Drive System (2016)
- Temporary storage and sortation system - SPDR (2015)
- Pallet-type conveyor system - Flexible Drive System (2014)
- Power assisting system - ECO POWER ASSIST (2013)
- Environmentally friendly paint system - E-DIP (2012)
- Drive-through car wash machine – Twinfect Feat (2016)
- Drive-through car wash machine – Twinthru Luke (2016)
- Drive-through car wash machine - Fabrica (2015)
- Drive-through car wash machine - Avante (2015)
- Gate-type car wash machine - Flare (2014)
- Gate-type car wash machine - Grossa (2014)
- Drive-through car wash machine - Twinfect Force (2013)
- Drive-through car wash machine - Twinthru Arteno (2013)
- Gate-type car wash machine - Euros (2013)
- Drive-through car wash machine - Granada (2012)
- Gate-type car wash machine - GSPECT (2012)
Contec Co., Ltd.
- FLEXLAN Series 8 port 10/100M Unmanaged Industrial Switching HUB (2016)
- SolarView Battery (Solar power generation data measurement and display device, SolarView Battery) (2016)
- CONPROSYS Series | Ether CAT Slave Module (2016)
- BOX-PC (2015)
- M2M Controller (2015)
- Solar power measurement display system - SolarView Compact (2014)
Manufacturing & Distribution
Stacker crane - R-series S/R machine
The R-series S/R machine is a stacker crane that stores and retrieves pallets into and from racks. The technologies implemented on the R-L10 model S/R machine, which was certified as an eco-product last year, has now been spread to all R-series models. Its refined frame structure and use of premium efficiency motors contribute to a 6 % reduction in electricity consumption, and a 5 % reduction in CO2 emissions and energy consumption compared to conventional models.
AS/RS - Seismic damper unit for rack
The seismic damping rack is one of our anti-seismic products. In the event of an earthquake, the seismic damper units installed at the top of the racking structure absorb the seismic vibrations, which prevents the stored items from falling off the racking. Changed from the conventional arrangement, the dampers are now at the center of the S/R machine aisle. This modification has led to a decrease in the required number of dampers, and an increase in rigidity that has also brought a about decrease in size of the beams of the damper unit. These factors add up to a 20 % decrease in weight, and a 19 % decrease in CO2 emission and energy consumption.
Mechanical Centering System, cleanroom Equipment
This mechanical centering system serves to correct the position of the transfer cassette that has been lowered by a crane before the glass processing equipment. It is designed for use in liquid crystal panel plants with automated warehousing. The positioning unit is driven mechanically by a compressed spring system that eliminates the need for motors or compressors. As a result, power consumption is reduced by 93%, parts count by 22% and weight by 41%.
Flexible Drive System, chainless Conveyor System (FDS-FL15)
With the previous lineup of floor type Flexible Drive Systems, the smallest model was rated for 500 kg. We have now added a 150 kg transport model suitable for lightweight objects such as bumpers and doors. By reducing the capacity of the friction drive motor, power consumption when transporting objects with 150 kg or less has been reduced by about 40% compared to conventional systems. In addition, the structure of rails and trolleys has been drastically redesigned for a weight reduction by 45%, which also helps to conserve resources.
Twinfect Feat, drive through-type car wash machine (Model: TFF200)
The Twinfect Feat is the industry's only car wash system that completely separates the washing and drying functions to achieve impressive throughput. Besides improving washing and drying performance, the newly developed glass-type coating process that is included as part of the standard configuration shortens the time required for coating by 20%. In terms of environment friendliness, we ensure significantly better corrosion and weather resistance by using highly corrosion-resistant galvanized steel sheets for the frame. Lower power and water consumption as well as the use of environmentally safe liquids also demonstrate our concern for the environment.
Twinthru Luke, drive through-type car wash machine (Model: TLU100)
The Twinthru Luke uses newly developed brushes for more intensive cleaning, and drying performance has been improved as well. The range of options available has also been expanded. In terms of environment friendliness, we ensure significantly better corrosion and weather resistance by using highly corrosion-resistant galvanized steel sheets for the frame. The system consumes less power and water, and environmentally safe liquids are used as standard.
FLEXLAN Series 8 port 10/100M Unmanaged Industrial Switching HUB (Model: SH-8008F)
This highly compact switching hub supports operation over a wide temperature range from -20℃ to +60℃ and is mountable in a 35 mm DIN rail. Thanks to circuit optimization, the unit consumes 45% less power than the predecessor product, and the improved heat dissipation design enables more compact dimensions (32% reduction). Redesigned packaging results in a reduction of 52% by volume and 24% by weight and thereby contributes to the conservation of resources.
SolarView Battery (Solar power generation data measurement and display device, SolarView Battery) (Model: SV-BPX-MC310)
This compact power-saving device is designed for measurement and information display in systems that combine solar cells and lithium ion batteries. Unlike conventional systems that are configured with a general-purpose computer, the new product utilizes a dedicated all-in-one measurement controller, realizing a 91% reduction in power usage, 81% weight reduction, and 96% reduction in packaging material.
CONPROSYS Series | Ether CAT Slave Module (Model: CPS-ECS341-1-011)
This Slave Module realizes high-speed real-time operation in accordance with EtherCAT, a global standard for real-time communications. It provides a dedicated high-speed expansion bus that supports real-time control of a wide range of I/O combinations, including digital and analog I/O. The circuitry has been optimized for EtherCAT functionality, resulting in 41% lower power consumption than with conventional systems, along with a 30% weight reduction.
Life Cycle Assessment
From 2015, we have incorporated life cycle assessment as a analysis tool for desigining eco-friendly products. By comparing old and new products, we are able to further enhance our eco-friendly product designs.
Results of LCA conducted on the New Goodrack, a heavy load storage rack
Specifications of a standard representational model:
Results of LCA conducted on the New Goodrack, a heavy load storage rack Width (W): 2,500mm Depth (L): 1,100mm Height (H): 5,000mm Number of levels: 3 beam levels (maximum load: 2000kg/level) Connection: 10 spans
1. LCA computation scope
2. Impact assessment
We assessed the impact of six environmental issues according to life cycle stages. We also compared the environmental impact of the issues of new and previous products.
Summary of impact assessment by life-cycle stages
- Contribution of material manufacturing stage has exceeded 80% for global warming, ecotoxicity (terrestrial) and urban air pollution.
- Contribution of the assembly stage was about 60%, or a majority, for exhaustion of waste displosal sites and water resource consumption.
- No clear influence was noticed for depletion of the ozone layer in the computation conditions this time.
- Influence of transportation stage and disposal stage was small in all environmental domain of influence.
Comparison with previous product (Global warming)
- Environmental influence reduction rate for new products was 7.4%.
- Decreasing the weight of trusses and beams was the main contribution to the reduction of environmental influence.
CO2 Reduction Contribution
Daifuku strives to decrease its carbon footprint by providing eco-friendly products and services.
The contribution towards reduced CO2 from our products and services is calculated by taking the amount of CO2 released and subtracting it from the amount released during fiscal 2005, which acts as the base year.
CO2 reduction contribution from environmentally friendly products